- Warrant and consent
- Why we collect personal information
- What is the personal information that we collect?
- How we use your personal information?
- Personal information retention duration
- How do we keep your information safe?
- Withdrawing consent and opting out options
- How to contact our privacy officer
- Changes to this policy
(1) Warrant and consent
(2) Why we collect personal information
HAP collects personal information to personalize your shopping experience, provide you with exceptional customer service, and administer business. Your personal information allows us to communicate effectively about promotions, special offers, events, and other news that may be of interest to you, as well as to utilize insights garnered to better serve our guests.
(3) What is the personal information that we collect?
HAP collects personal information in a variety of circumstances. The information we may collect includes:
- Contact information: We collect contact information expressly provided, such as when you create a HAP account. Examples include your name, e-mail address, phone number, and addresses.
- Online account information: We collect information associated with your online account, like items you save to a cart or past purchases made. If you save payment card information to your online account, this will be stored by HAP – via e-commerce provider, BrainTree - as tokenized information only.
- Purchase information: We collect information associated with purchases you make. If you are a member, this information will be kept in association with your membership record. If you make a purchase on the HAP website, your HAP online account will also keep a record of your purchase as well as shipping information.
- Communications and social media: We collect information directly connected with communication conducted through our website or social media channels. If you email, call, chat, tag, or otherwise communicate with us (including through social media), we may keep records, or notes of such communications. If we send you a marketing e-mail, we will collect information about whether you open the e-mail, whether you access the link(s) provided, what pages you visit on our website, and any purchases you make.
- Job application information: We collect information derived from job application completed on the Jobs page of the homesalive.ca website or on associated job application websites, such as Indeed. During your application, you may provide Home Alive Pets with sensitive personal information, which could include your resume, cover letter, contact information, work experience, willingness to relocate, education, licenses, and certifications.
- Cookies and tracking technology: We collect information connected to cookies when you access the HAP website. You can accept or decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the HAP services or websites you visit. HAP keeps track of the websites and pages you visit within HAP to determine what HAP services are the most popular.
- Video security footage: We collect video security footage in each of our store locations. As a result, when you enter a HAP store, you may be recorded by our video camera system. Under normal circumstances, video surveillance footage is regularly deleted or overwritten, unless there is a business or legal reason to retain certain recordings. Our standard retention period is approximately 30 days. Shelf-cameras, however, do not record customer information, but rather are used solely for the purpose of identifying shelves that need restocking. Upon sensing movement, shelf-cameras immediately turn off.
- Other information: We collect other personal information that you give or submit directly to HAP on a voluntary basis, such as your birthday or your pet’s birthday. Other examples include information gathered through contest submissions, product reviews, or requested feedback.
(4) How we use your personal information?
HAP uses your personal information to provide you with exceptional customer service on the site, in the store, and to administer business. We use your personal information for a variety of purposes, including:
- Sales and services: We may use your personal information to process purchases you make. We may also use our records of your purchase if you are a member in the event you wish to return a product.
- Rewards Program: We may use your personal information for rewards purchases. By signing up as a member, you gain the ability to accumulate pet coins and keep track of Frequent Feeder discounts.
- Communications: We may use your personal information to contact and correspond with you directly (via phone, chat, email, social media, or other method) and to manage our relationship, including responding to your questions, comments, or concerns. Where given express consent, we may also send you marketing messages, which could include general updates and announcements.
- Marketing and advertising: We may use your personal information (including email and phone number) for marketing purposes. This may include creating advertisements on third-party websites and platforms.
- Improving our services: We may use your personal information to improve our operations, to personalize your online experience, or to provide you or others with relevant product recommendations,
- Analytics: We may use your personal information as part of our use of web analytics, which enables us to track the effectiveness of our marketing or sales efforts across platforms and websites, and to create more effective marketing campaigns in the future.
- Job applications: We may use personal information that you provide through our Jobs page or via third-party job application sites to assess your eligibility and qualifications for employment with HAP, and to contact you if you are chosen to move forward in the candidacy process. We may also gather additional information about you from third parties in the hiring process, such as contacting your references. If you are hired by HAP, we may use the information provided with your job application as a part of your employee record.
- Feedback: We may use your personal information to investigate and address individuals’ ratings, reviews, survey responses, feedback, and questions, including to follow-up with any issues or concerns. We may also use this information to improve our products and services.
- Website usage: We may use this information (including opt-out preferences, click-throughs, and IP addresses) to understand traffic and activity on or to the HAP website, to improve the HAP website, services, and products we offer, to understand interest in our products and services, and to tailor our marketing to better serve our guests.
- Fraud prevention: We may use your personal information to verify your identity when interacting with us. This may include your HAP online account, membership information, and purchase history, as well as other identifying information you have provided to us.
- Legal and regulatory requirements: We may use your personal information to meet our legal obligations under federal and provincial law.
- Frequent Feeder Program: For our Frequent Feeder program, we provide respective brands with a report that includes proof of purchase along with their requirement of first name, last name, and address.
HAP does not sell or rent your personal information to third parties. We may provide information to third-party service providers, or agents that work on our behalf. These parties do not have the right to use your personal information in any way that is not authorized by HAP. They are contractually obligated to protect and use your information only as necessary to assist HAP (e.g., parcel delivery, payment serves, etc.).
(5) Personal information retention duration
We will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, for as long as we have a business or legal reason to do so, or as otherwise permitted or required by Canadian law and the Personal Information Protection Act of Alberta.
Please note that some of our third-party service providers are located outside of Canada. As a result, your personal information may be stored and processed outside of Canada and may be subject to the laws and access by government or regulatory organizations outside of Canada.
Third-party services that retain your data include:
- Bloyal: A cloud-based omnichannel loyalty and rewards. Bloyal is located in the United States.
- Braintree: An online payment processor. Braintree is located in the United States.
- Magento: A cloud-based website hosting platform with e-commerce analytics functionalities. Magento is located in the United States.
- Hubspot: A cloud-based customer relations management system. Hubspot is located in the United States and utilizes Amazon Web Services infrastructure.
(6) How do we keep your information safe?
HAP takes necessary steps to protect your information against unauthorized access using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to protect your online order information. SSL technology enables encryption (scrambling) of sensitive information, including passwords and credit card numbers, during your online transactions. We respect your personal information, and we will take the necessary measures to ensure your privacy.
(7) Withdrawing consent and opting out options
- Opting out of marketing materials: If at any time you would like to stop receiving promotional emails from HAP, you may unsubscribe at any time by clicking “unsubscribe” in the email footer.
- Disabling cookies: You can disable cookies by adjusting the settings on your internet browser.
- Opting out of Google Analytics; You can learn about Google’s tracking practices by going to http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ and opt-out by downloading the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- Canceling your HAP membership: You can cancel your HAP membership by contacting email@example.com.
(8) How to contact our privacy officer
If you have any questions or concerns regarding this policy and how we handle your information, please contact HAP’s Privacy Officer.
Homes Alive Pets
5625 104 St NW Edmonton
AB T6H 2K1
(9) Changes to this policy
We may update this Policy from time to time. We will post any changes to the HAP website and, if the changes are significant, we may provide a more prominent notice to users such as notification via e-mail.
Our treatment of your personal information will be governed by the version of the Policy currently in effect, which operates within the parameters set by the Personal Information Protection Act of Alberta, Canada. As a result, please review this Policy on a regular basis and contact us if you have any questions.